Warren County Fire and Rescue units responded to a fully involved garage fire Wednesday morning. Units arrived on the scene with fire spreading from the garage to the home. Firefighters made quick work of controlling the extension to the home and then extinguishment of the garage. Fire was under control in 15 minutes.
The garage, at 501 Wildcat Drive, off of Howellsville Road was a total loss. The fire, under investigation by the Warren County Fire Marshal’s offices, was caused by a heat lamp too close to hay/straw housing chickens in the rear section of the garage.
The fire melted shutters on the home, as well as igniting siding around and the breaking of windows to the home. Damage estimates to the garage, contents and the home are estimated at $30,000.
The Department of Fire and Rescue Services would like to use this incident as a reminder that with cold weather upon us, special attention should be given to keeping heat sources away from combustibles; whether it be a heat lamp to warm pets and livestock or discarded ashes from fireplaces and wood stoves.
© Copyright 2013 TV3 Winchester / Gray Television Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.