"It's devastating to go through it, it really is," said Deedee Brown.
Deedee didn't know that the electricity running in her home was a problem.
"The electrical box caught on fire," she said. "I know now that if your house is over 30 years old, you should have that electric box checked."
"The average home is probably close to being overloaded if its an older home, if not already overloaded because it was built at a timeframe when we didn't have the electronic devices and all the equipment that we have now that requires electricity," said Jeremy Luttrell, a fire marshal.
After fires caused by cooking, the second most common cause of house fires is burned electrical outlets.
There are three main reasons electrical outlets catch on fire. The first is aging. This is caused by outlets that are just old with visible burns. The second is plugging and unplugging cords. This increases the wear and tear on sockets. The third is too much current and having many devices using one outlet.
"The biggest potential for a fire from something like that is going to be too much current," said Jeremy. "Trying to demand or trying to draw too much power through conductors, or through extension cords, or surge protectors, that are not designed to carry."
It's important to keep in mind that electronic devices like laptops, televisions, and radios draw a lot of power.
During the holidays, so do Christmas lights. Experts say, don't leave these things running when you aren't home.
"To be the safest, you want unplug any kind of decorations or lighting like that inside or outside the home," said Jeremy. "Especially if it would be on a Christmas tree."
© Copyright 2013 TV3 Winchester / Gray Television Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.